My TOP 10 things to do whilst at the Lincoln Christmas Market

Lincoln Castle

My Top 10 Things To Do Whilst At Lincoln Christmas Market

It's that time of year again already. In the above photo, you can see Lincoln castle. Doesn't it look spacious? It's hard to imagine that during Thursday the 6th and Sunday the 9th of December this historic area will be crowded with approximately 300,000 people. Yes... it really is hectic, before you ask.

Naturally, the Lincoln Christmas Market is a very popular attraction in the UK over Christmas time with historical land marks such as Lincoln Cathedral and Lincoln Castle. For those of you who are new to the Lincoln Christmas Market experience and are planning to visit this weekend, the crowds begin all of the way at Lincoln train station, the crowds cram the high street making any Christmas shopping in Lincoln high street an ambitious challenge. The solid crowd continues up the famous Lincoln Steep Hill, up to this area here in which visitors are guided into Lincoln Castle. Yes, isn't that exciting, the market takes place in Lincoln Castle! 

Lincoln Castle
Lincoln Castle

So there is a quick coverage of what to expect regarding the Lincoln Christmas market however, many visitors travel from all over the UK or even abroad and may stay visiting Lincoln over the weekend. Of course I appreciate the priority of this visit would be the Lincoln Christmas Market however, if you travel all of this way and stay for a few days, you may want to explore the other gems that help to make Lincoln a beautiful city. 

Naturally, the Lincoln Cathedral would also be an obvious attraction and impossible to miss whilst visiting, so I will also make a presumption that you would be choosing to visit this attraction regardless!

Lincoln Cathedral
Lincoln Cathedral
Lincoln Cathedral


Covering attractions, boutiques, shops, restaurants and pubs I have made my own personal TOP 10 THINGS TO DO in Lincoln that I would recommend to any visitor. I hope these are helpful for deciding, in particular some lovely restaurants to try on your visit to the Lincoln Christmas Market.

10. RUBY RED BOUTIQUE

RubyRed Boutique

At number 10 I would say RUBY RED BOUTIQUE. As this is a fashion blog, I feel the need to mention this little boutique. This boutique is located at the bottom of Steep Hill and sells all sorts of fashion garments and accessories. I'm particularly fond of the graphic tank tops, in particular the moustache tops for sale in this boutique. The reason I recommend this boutique is the price, the tank tops I found in this boutique were only £6, with other clothing items retailing for under £15. This boutique is beautifully decorated inside and the staff are very friendly. I imagine this to be a popular attraction for any fashionista during the Lincoln Christmas Market.

9. CALLY CO


At number 9, I am recommending CALLY CO. This fabric shop is located in the Bailgate area of Lincoln at the top of Steep Hill, past Lincoln Cathedral and Lincoln Castle. You may have a Cally Co in your city back home but if not I highly recommend this fabric shop. This fabric shop isn't the cheapest, but it sells some of the most beautiful fabrics, accessories and craft materials I have ever seen. Again the staff are wonderful and it really is a delightful little place to explore!

8. BAILGATE KITCHENS & COOKWARE

BAILGATE KITCHENS & COOKWARE
BAILGATE KITCHENS & COOKWARE

At number 8 I will be recommending the BAILGATE KITCHENS & COOKWARE shop. This cookware shop sells lovely collectible crockery, for those of you who are regular readers of my fashion blog, you may recognise the crockery in the left of the photograph. Can you see the cats? This is the crockery shop where I purchased my Dubout Promenade En Famille Cat and Kitten Sugar Pot. It's so cute!


I often find a lot of delightful kitchen decorations in this shop, the staff are so polite and friendly and the prices are reasonable for collectible items. I'd highly recommend paying this kitchen shop a little visit.

7.  GREESTONE PARK LINCOLN

Greestone Building
Lincoln
Lincoln
Lincoln
Lincoln

At number 7 I'd recommend the park by the Greeston Building in Lincoln. The Greestone Building is where life drawing takes place for the University of Lincoln art students and is surrounded by beautiful greenery. Although I imagine, these fields will look more frosty over the Lincoln Christmas Market weekend due to the weather, however, it would look beautiful and could make a lovely escape from the busy crowds of the Lincoln Christmas Market.

Featured here are also an Art Gallery and a Museum, these would make other great visits for your trip in Lincoln.

6. VINTAGE CLOTHING & ACCESSORIES

Vintage Clothing & Accessories
Vintage Bicycle

At number 6, is this VINTAGE CLOTHING & ACCESSORIES shop. The vintage clothing and vintage accessories in this shop can vary in price, but everything in store is beautiful. This vintage clothing shop is a MUST visit for any vintage fashion lover. Many of the shoes and bags are from the 1940's era and have a slight tatty look to them. If I won the lottery I would buy everything in there! This shop is located about half way up Steep Hill, look out for the vintage bicycle on the right which points towards the vintage clothing & accessories shop.

5. LINCOLN CANAL - LINCOLN WATERSIDE CENTRE

Lincoln Waterside Centre
Lincoln Waterside Centre
 
At number 5, this canal is located in the centre of the Lincoln high street, next to the Lincoln Waterside Centre. You might feel a city centre sight isn't an ideal priority for when you visit Lincoln however, this was the first part of Lincoln I discovered when initially attending my University of Lincoln interview almost three years ago. Standing on the bridge watching the swans is a very pleasant experience.

4 LINCOLN TRADITIONAL SWEET SHOP

Traditional Sweet Shop
Traditional Sweet Shop

At number 4 is the Lincoln Traditional Sweet Shop. Goodies Lincoln.
Once again, like with most of Lincoln, this shop makes you feel like you have stepped back in time. This traditional sweet shop will offer many visitors nostalgic feelings and will make a delightful visit on your trip to Lincoln. This traditional sweet shop is located at the bottom of Steep Hill opposite RubyRed Boutique.

3. SAFFRON INDIAN RESTAURANT

Saffron Indian Restaurant
Saffron Indian Restaurant

At number 3 is the SAFFRON INDIAN RESTAURANT near to Lincoln Cathedral. I went to this restaurant by chance and had one of the most DELICIOUS Chicken Tikka Massalas I had ever tasted. The quality of the meat was incredible and the sauces would burst with flavour. Sorry my photo of my meal doesn't do this food justice at all! The staff were so welcoming and friendly and the meal was quite cheap considering how incredible the food was! However, this restaurant does get busy, so I'd book in advance if you were interested in this!

2 - THE HORSE & GROOM

Horse & Groom
Horse & Groom


At number 2 I would recommend the Horse & Groom. The drinks aren't the cheapest here but this pub is a wonderful place to indulge in a few drinks, located on the Lincoln Brayford. This pub is reasonably close to where I live, hence my regular visits. The Horse & Groom has a pub quiz on Mondays which is always fun to enter for just £1 and you get free snacks included as well, in the past I was given onion bhajis and samosas! The Horse & Groom also has a lovely beer garden, however, this probably wouldn't be much use to you during Christmas time due to the cold!

Here are some photos of the Brayford I had taken which you will get to walk along if enjoying drinks at this pub.

Lincoln Brayford
Lincoln Brayford
Lincoln Brayford
Lincoln Brayford

1. THAI ONE ON - THAI RESTAURANT

Thai One On

My number one choice of my TOP 10 things to do whilst at Lincoln Christmas Market would be to dine in Thai One On. Now, this restaurant is located on the Lincoln Brayford, around the corner from the Odeon cinema, next to, dare I say it? Chicken Cottage. Yes that was the fast food restaurant mentioned on Four Lions. (Rubber Dinghy Rapids! Tehe!) So yes, the outside of this Thai Restaurant isn't too appealing is it? As they say don't judge a book by its cover. To me, because of the location of this Thai Restaurant alongside its architecture, this is one of the ultimate hidden gems in Lincoln. You enter the doors, to find a lift. Go inside, press the button to go up and you will be greeted by a lovely lady dressed in beautiful clothes. As you go through to the room, you might expect it to be pretty average but this really is not the case. There is a large fountain/waterfall in the far corner of the room, the furniture is beautiful and you honestly feel like you have stepped into another country. The staff are incredibly polite and the food, the food is just incredible. I recommend getting the meal set for 4 (usually at the front of the menu) working out at £19.99 each (Totalling to about £80) however, you get to try so much of the different food and it really is great value for money. Their chilli chicken is delicious with a very light crispy coating, bursting with flavour. This is by far my favourite restaurant in Lincoln so far and I'd like to hope many others could enjoy its food!



So I hope this has been a helpful read to you all and possibly sparked ideas for what to do whilst visiting the Lincoln Christmas Market. However, there is no reason you could visit any of these places at any other time of year either, so I hope this has made you want to visit Lincoln at some point in time. In all honesty, I keep thinking of more things I want to suggest and recommend however this list would be never ending. If you want to ask if there is something you are looking for here that I haven't mentioned, especially regarding bars and restaurants as there are A LOT, feel free to leave a comment and I'll do my best to advise you!

4 comments:

  1. Looks like an incredible place to visit! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This place looks amazing! When I have money, my first big trip will be to the UK. Beautiful historic buildings!

    Jordan
    http://dressforthepart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate all of the comments I receive! You're all so wonderful! Thank you so much! :)